Physics 11

Course Outline: PHYSICS 11

Course Layout: The course is broken down as follows.

Unit Topic
1 Math Tools
2 Kinematics
3 Dynamics
Midterm Exam
4 Momentum
5 Energy
6 Electrical Circuits
Final Exam
7 Waves & Light
8 Modern Physics

Grading: The following table outlines the mark breakdown of 95% of our course. The other 5% will consist of the introductory assignments.

Item Weight
Quizzes 10%
Learning Guides 10%
Projects 20%
Unit Exams 18%
Midterm Exam 14%
Final Exam 23%

Learning Guides:

As you work through the course content for each unit you should be completing the learning guide as you go. All submissions MUST be very neat and well organized. If you can’t figure out a question, you should be researching, then asking for help. The learning guides are assessed for completion and they will form the notes used to study for quizzes and tests. Learning guides must be submitted for all units.

Projects:

Projects allow you to make some choices on how you wish to enhance your understanding. As you work through units look for projects that will enhance your understanding in areas of interest and/or weakness. You are required to complete one project for each unit from units 1 through 6 and ONE major project from units 7 OR 8. The major project is worth 4 times more than any one project from the previous units.

Quizzes and Exams:

Quizzes can be done on your own (not supervised). Use them as practice – ie. give them a try first, then refer to notes if you need a little extra help. You have two tries with each quiz. The questions will be different on your 2nd attempt. Keep track of where you needed help and review prior to your second try and/or unit exam.

Before you write a unit exam you must have completed all quizzes within that unit, the project for that unit and the learning guide for that unit. Only units 1-6 have exams. Units 7 and 8 have no exam, however you will need to complete learning guides for each and do one major project for either Unit 7 or 8.

All exams are “closed book” and require supervision. You can choose to write your exams during my office hours at Riverside Centre every Tuesday evening from 6:00-7:30pm. You can also choose to write your tests during the day at the Test Centre at Thomas Haney Secondary. If you are unable to make these times, you may ask a teacher at your own school if they’d be willing to supervise you. If that’s the case, please have them contact me. All exams must be pre-arranged with me. Please send me a message when you are ready to write.

Resources:

There is NO textbook required for this course. Optional workbooks are available for purchase upon request. You do need a basic scientific calculator. You are able to use the formula sheet for all quizzes and exams.

Keys to Success:

  1. Actively work through each lesson, trying examples and reflecting on material.
  2. Use the Learning Guide as your tool for documenting your understanding. Lay it out neatly, show all of your work and make it well organized.
  3. Make sure you understand any quiz/exam question you get wrong. If you can’t figure it out – ask for help!
  4. Be sure to attend the weekly office hours to get one on one help with the material. I’m available every Tuesday evening from 6:00-7:30pm at Riverside Centre in Room 1048. I’m also available for help during the day at various times at Thomas Haney Secondary. Please contact to book a time to come in for help at Thomas Haney.